Friday 20 November 2015

Sophie has a new perspective on ilevel



From the Left (Theo from Quantum, Bryan from Kinetic Mobility and Me

I was really nervous at first when picking up my new power chair. 
I recall the first day I received my first power chair, Bruce. 

When I got Bruce I wasn’t as petrified as I was seeing my new Q6 Edge 2.0. Perhaps this was due to when I got Bruce it was long over due.  

Over the years I have known that Bruce was on his way out, but I was used to him and knew him inside and out.
So when I moved from Bruce to my new Q6 Edge 2.0 (Sheldon) I knew straight away, how much this would change my life!


With my new power chair, the Q6 Edge 2.0, trust has to be built. Nonetheless, from the moment I first saw the demo chair at Kinetic Mobility (apart from the green colour), I knew it was going to change my life.



....There just was no going back!!




WIMBOURNE!!!! :)
The reason for all my nerves was more about the joystick control. Like many wheelchair users there were one or two joysticks on the market 4 years ago and they mostly worked in the same way. 

However turning the Q6 Edge 2.0. on was slightly different. The new Q Logic 2 control technology was a massive positive from my previous control systems. The Edge and its new control system gave me a great amount of value. It gave me a new way to access my powered controls, which is pretty important. 
It made me feel alive.



Before I was a person that could drive her wheelchair without thinking about what button to press. Yet when I came to using the new QLogic 2 Controls, it was hard to relearn, especially when it came to operating the Q6 Edge 2.0... Although it didn’t take long to adjust. 



The QLogic 2 power options control

With the control switches, I found them particularly difficult at first, as it was new to me.
The hardest part was working out which switch to press for the power function I needed. 


For me the easiest way to press switches is using my right hand, so I Bryan from Kinetic Mobility had them triggered, which means a one touch system, allowing iLevel to go up with ease, another press stopped it.


This is a good idea, but I struggled when with this concept in the pub and my power chair lever lifted the table... :) I guess this will take some time to get used to!


Talking about the pub, I was desperate for a drink. I tried out iLevel whilst treating my friend to a drink. As I’m quite shy and have a speech impediment (and I like a free drinks), I don't usually order drinks often, but this time at the right height it was so easy to speak to the bar man.
 

 
So on that note let the trouble begin...



No comments: